Wednesday, April 27, 2022

The Northport Power Station


I arrived at the Vanderbilt Planetarium for my astronomy meeting tonight and saw this scene from the garden there with the beautiful light of the setting sun and the background of dark clouds.  These are the smokestacks of the Northport Power Station.  It is the largest power generation facility on Long Island and consists of four steam turbine units which generate about 29% of all locally generated power on Long Island.  The four enormous smoke stacks are a defining landmark of Northport and can be seen from up to 36 miles away atop East Rock in New Haven, Connecticut, across Long Island Sound.  At 620 ft. they are among the tallest structures on Long Island.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never imagined 620 feet. I enjoy seeing them from Anchor Beach in Milford. So many things going on in this great photo.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing them in the distance when Joan and I visited the Vanderbilt Planetarium. I like how bright they look against the dark clouds. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Joan, that is amazing that you can see them from Anchor Beach. The text I found said you had to be on East Rock! I will have to look for the stacks next time I am at your place.