Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Broken Things


I was cleaning out one of my bureau drawers,  because I was looking for a watch to wear for a day, instead of my Apple Watch.  Sometimes when I am doing heavy work with tools I don't want to wear the Apple Watch for fear I would damage it or get it wet.  So I have been wearing, before the Apple Watch, these L.L. Bean watches for perhaps 40 years I think.  Then I couldn't get the right Bean watch with the black face, so I switched to the Timex versions, which are larger.  I love this style of watch because of the simplicity.  Also, this style of watch was worn by pilots in WWII and I liked that pedigree.  So I found these four watches I have worn.  Note that the two watches on the left have no winder knobs!  How is it that I beat my watches up so badly the winder knob breaks or falls off! The third one from the left doesn't run, but maybe it's just the battery.  The one on the right runs perfectly, and that's the watch I wore for the day.  It's funny to be faced with 40 years of watches all at once!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice collection of watches, but why are you saving the ones that do not have winder knobs? Can they be replaced or repaired?
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Hi Joan: You made me laugh out loud! I save the broken ones because I save EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction as Joan - why would you save all the old watches if they don't have winder knobs? But your answer to Joan made me laugh!! betsey