Friday, June 24, 2022

White on White


I am now DONE done with installing the new rail on the front steps.  So I primed the new oak handrail, then painted everything.  I hadn't realized that over 7 years much of the white paint was a bit dirty.  So it was a joy to put fresh white paint on everything and make such a beautiful thing new again.  So I started trying to figure what photograph of the painted railing would be the most interesting.  So the third photograph down is the "expected" one, and the others are me experimenting with other possibilities.  I think the close-up makes the point well,   And my second favorite is beneath it.  The third one is expected, and the last one is the most artistic. I just thought you might enjoy how pretty this is after all the work I did on it!  What's your favorite photograph of these four?




 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Job well done! Photo #1 is my favorite. Crisp white railing pops and nothing else to distract my eyes.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I totally agree with your sister, Joan; "Crisp" is the the perfect descriptive word. For one reason or another I find distractions with photos 2, 3 and 4.

PS: Great job repairing your handrail that, no doubt, is now superior to the 1920's job done by the original carpenter!

Ken Spencer said...

PS: I built the handrail myself 7 years ago! And it would good to this day, if the rail was not white pine. But of course it was my fault. I glued all of the balusters top and bottom, but because I was using lag bolts on each end of the railing, I failed to use construction adhesive to fasten both ends of the handrail, which would also have sealed the ends of the railing and prevented the water that came up inside the grain of the wood, rotting it.

Anonymous said...

I like #1 but I also like #4 because it shows all the balusters. I love your determination to get this railing just right. Looks great! betsey

Anonymous said...

I like #4! A feast for the eyes. Can’t wait to get my hands on it soon! -Amy