Saturday, June 18, 2022

My Next Project - Done!


Back on June 5th I posted a detail photograph of the rotting handrail on this railing on the front steps.  So I set about fixing it.  The tricky part was cutting the top railing off of each of the balusters, without damaging any of the tops of the balusters.  I cut the rotted top rail in about 5 places and removed it piece by piece.  I used a very cool electric tool called an "Oscillating Multi-Tool," which is great for working in small spaces.  You could look it up.  This is what it looked like when I was done.  So after buying the new handrail and cutting it and fitting it VERY carefully with the correct angle on each end,  I fastened the new rail on.  I had to use construction adhesive on the top of every baluster, as well as on the ends of the top rail, and then all at once, put the top rail in place.  Then I had to use my brad nail gun on my air compressor to fasten the top of each baluster in place until the adhesive set.  Here is what it looks like now.  I will prime the raw wood of the top rail, and then paint everything so it is nice and fresh.  Nicely done, if I do say so myself.


 



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on another project completed to perfection. You amaze me. Job well done!
Joan

Anonymous said...

Wow! A lot of precise work. It will look perfect when it is painted. You are a true Renaissance man who has wide interests and knowledge in many areas. You research your projects before you start to make or fix things. betsey