Friday, October 28, 2022

Fall Color


I am seeing something this fall that I don't remember seeing before.  Strings of red, orange and yellow leaves that are clearly from some sort of creeping vine.  I have seen it in our ivy the back yard, on a tree a ways down on Laurel avenue, and on our neighbor's wall, crawling over the ivy.  The leaves look a lot like Maple tree leaves, but they are clearly not.  In any case, it is really the first brilliant fall color we are seeing so far.  I love that this shows the colorful vines, but some remaining rose blossoms, as well as the blue branches of the plant in the lower right that I cannot remember the name of.

So Ron guessed from what little of the plant was showing in the lower right corner of the photo, that it was Russian Sage.  So I went out an photographed it, even though it was dusk and it was getting dark out, thinking that a close-up would help.  When I came back in, Kathy was awake from her nap and she did identify it as Russian sage.  Thought you all might enjoy knowing this, since I absolutely depend on my gardening friends for help with so many flowers and plants!  I also noticed, by the way, that my original photograph was much too dark, so I lightened that photograph as well.






 

4 comments:

Ron said...

Ken, the lower right looks it might be Russian sage. That is what I know it by. Beautiful late blooming plant and drought tolerant too. Please correct me if I am wrong. I love this photo. Fall and the start of winter provide so many chances for great contrasts in color.

Ron said...

Addendum, possibly lavender with very long blooming shoots!?

Anonymous said...

Interesting photo with all the different shaped leaves and colors. Love that the rose is still in bloom.
Joan

Anonymous said...

The colorful leaves above the Ivy are so pretty. The closeup of the delicate Russian Sage is delightful. betsey