Saturday, October 15, 2022

I'm Losing My Touch


 I am losing my touch!  Today Kathy and went up to the St. Lukes Church Fair, just to wander around.  I brought my camera, of course.  As we went into the yard by the church, there were two young girls sitting in the grass enjoying their ice cream cups.  I said "Those look delicious" when one looked up, and one said "Thank you."  So here I was looking at this wonderful scene with the two girls, and I could not bring myself to bring my camera up to my eye and take a photograph!  You know why?  I was worried that someone would see me taking a photograph of two young girls and accuse me of creepy behavior.  Isn't that sad?  It killed me not to take that slice of life of two young girls enjoying their ice cream on a sunny afternoon.  But I think I made the right decision.  
So then to my second photograph, above.  I decided to do some kind of overall photograph of the tents and people in the park.  But it was dull without people in the foreground of the photograph.  So I stood there and waited until people walked into the shot.  This is the third couple to walk in that I photographed.  I did a few photographs and figured I had my shot.  But when I was doing the editing at home, I realized I missed THE shot.  I thought the subject was the fair with some people in it.  Wrong!  The real subject of interest was this couple!   I love how this couple is dressed - the woman has such beautiful hair so nicely arranged, and she has the wonderful wrap over her shoulders.  They are the most interesting thing in the photograph.  And I didn't realize that until I was editing the photographs much later.  Yup, loosing my touch...




 

4 comments:

Ron said...

Ken, you are not losing your touch. Unfortunately our world has changed. You are still perceptive enough to realize that. I miss the days when we could perform our jobs (in your case, a life long passion for capturing and sharing ‘truth’ as it happens) without being subject to irrational thoughts. PLEASE keep photographing what you see. It is so important. Thank you for what you do.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Ron's comment. I look forward to your photos every day. It is sad to think that if you had photographed the young girls, someone might have thought you were creepy. I smiled thinking the girl said thank you for your comment. Obviously they were not afraid of you. The couple walking hand in hand is perfect for a day out at the fair.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I feel badly that you felt that you couldn't photograph the young girls with their ice cream. But I get it. Your final photo is perfect. Reminds me of the original hippies :-) betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments. It is rare that I don't take a photograph that I see, but as painful as it was to not do that photo of the young girls, I do feel more comfortable that erred on the side of caution. You are such wonderful readers and supporters of my work here and I appreciate each and every one of you!