Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Grumman Mallard!


Meet one of the classic aircraft of all time, the Grumman Mallard!  I was just finishing tying down the Cessna I had been flying in when my instructor and I saw this aircraft land and then taxi over to where we were!  What great luck!  It was headed to a maintenance hangar beyond where were parked so it went right by us!  What a thrill!  This airplane is five years younger than I am!  I was born in 1942 and this was manufactured in 1947, by the Grumman Aircraft Corporation right here on Long Island.  It is an amphibian, so it can land on water with the wheels retracted, or on land with the wheels extended. It was such a thrill to see one of these aircraft in operation! 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo. Beautiful blue skies setting off a classic and colorful aircraft. I can see your smile.
Joan








Anonymous said...

How thrilling for you! Nice that you know the history. Betsey