Thursday, July 27, 2023

Mmmmm... Yum!


So here is where some of you will write me off as "being off the main sequence."  That's an astronomical term for stars that are not "normal."  Yeah, well, I guess that's me!  Why would you think that of me?  Well, because I roast my own coffee beans.  Because there is nothing like fresh roasted coffee beans!  When the weather is below 65 degrees, my coffee roaster will not get hot enough to roast the beans fully, so I have to buy roasted beans. I buy whole beans and then grind enough for one cup at a time.   Yup, I am a "coffee brat."  But you only get an excellent cup of coffee when you come to this house!


Here is a close-up of freshly roasted beans.  I never noticed this before, but see the holes in the shiny outer layer of the beans?  That's because heat makes the moisture in the green beans cause parts of the bean to explode when exposed to the 450 degrees or so temperature that it takes to roast them.  They are roasted with hot air, in my coffee bean roaster.  There is a time during the roast where you can hear the beans cracking and that is called the "first crack" and then if you wait longer you will hear a fainter "second crack" and for me they are done at that point.


This is funny, I did the other two photographs of the roasted beans earlier in the day, and when I sat down to do this post, realized that most people have never seen "green" un-roasted coffee beans.  Here they are.  They are about 3/4 the size of the roasted beans - considerably smaller before they are roasted.  And for what it's worth, when the beans are roasting they do not smell anything like coffee.  They do not smell good.  Maybe more like burning rope or something!  But it is a process well worth doing, if you are a coffee brat!  Come to my house some time and you will see!



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen green coffee beans. Where do you purchase them? I thought years ago you roasted them on the front porch. I will need to come visit and enjoy a cup of the coffee with the "Coffee Brat". I do not intend to start roasting my coffee beens. I don't even grind them as I am too lazy. I tried years ago and broke the grinding device.
Joan

Linda said...

I'm impressed that you roast your own beans. Kudos to you. I know when a person is really into their coffee and how it tastes that roasting their own beans is probably a good thing to do.

Anonymous said...

I remember your roasting your coffee beans outside on the front porch because they smelled awful! Glad to read that you are still doing this. I didn't realize that the un-roasted beans were smaller. In the past I have bought whole beans and ground them myself but it's getting rather expensive now. But you can't beat fresh roasted coffee! Betsey

ken schwarz said...

You have provided a detailed explanation of what it takes to make a delicious cup of coffee. I couldn't help but think of the word "consistent" as you have done this from time to time over many years. There are so many variables in the process including the source for raw beans; it makes me wonder if the end product from batch to batch consistently meets your taste requirement? I will concede, however, that grinding fresh beans is the way to go for the true coffee connoisseur. Somewhere, I think I still have the small coffee grinder that you suggested I buy decades ago but which has not be used for years and years. After waking up and going through the process of roasting, grinding and brewing in order to get my morning Joe - I would need a nap!