Thursday, July 13, 2023

I Won!


I have been a member of the National Press Photographer's Association for 57 years.  I still pay my dues and belong as a retired photographer.  They sent an email as part of a fund raiser, and asked for a contribution to the organization, and any contribution was an entry in a raffle with some prizes.  So I sent them some money, and guess what?  I won one of the top prizes!  This light is worth, believe it or not, $1,000.  Wow!  I never win anything and now I have this light to experiment with!


So here's the thing.  This is some kind of lighting unit.  I think that it is a flash unit, but I haven't made it flash yet.  But it is also an LED continuous light and I was able to light that up.  So this is the unit, and the handle is the battery.  It is a solid piece of equipment.  Those three circular things up above the flash unit are different reflectors that vary the width of the light, from wide to medium to spotlight.  The charger for the battery in the handle is at the top of the photo.  And the interesting thing is that there are no wires to connect this to a camera.  You have to have a remote electronic flash transmitter to set this off apparently.  You can use one of three transmitters by other companies.  Fortunately I have one of those for another flash I own.


This is the back of the flash head, and it is where you set the intensity of the light.  You use this one knob, which you can also press in, to adjust all the settings on the unit.  I used this to adjust the brightness of the continuous light source LED on the front.  But I guess when I set up my electronic trigger to talk to this, then this will become a flash unit.  Who knows!  So stay tuned, and I will take some photographs with this unit when I figure out how to use it, and you will be the first to see those photographs.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Well deserved!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Im sure you have already experimented and figured out the flash unit since your post last night. 57 years - you deserve a new toy!
Joan

ken schwarz said...

No doubt this well deserved prize and new toy has brightened your day!

Anonymous said...

What a joy for you! Have fun figuring it out. It’s so exciting to win such a great prize. Congrats! Betsey