Friday, July 7, 2023

Street Map


I saw this the other day and it stopped me in my tracks!  A map of local streets?  Well, no.  I just think it is such an interesting graphic image.  Any ideas what it might be?  I had to take my car in for a NYS inspection and so after dropping it off a couple of miles away, I decided to walk home for the exercise.  I saw two men on ladders working on the side of a building with some kind of electric chipping tool.  I didn't give it another thought, until several hours later when I walked back to pick up the car.  Then I realized what they were doing when I saw this.  It is a concrete block wall, and the workmen were chipping out mortar in cracks between the joints.  And then they used most likely some epoxy and concrete mixture to seal the cracks they had opened up with their tools!  So to me it looked a bit like a street map.  But it's an interesting pattern that may even have some flavor of a Native American design.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting design. I am more curious about NYS inspection. In CT, we have to have emissions tested and we sit for 10 minutes or so while they inspect the car. We don't leave the car at the station.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

I could have taken my car and driven over to Port Washington, and waited perhaps half an hour for the inspection to be performed. In NY State, they take a wheel off to check the brakes, and do an emissions check. I will have to look up all the things they check because I can't remember off hand. Anyhow, I was really in a jam because we had been in California so I called my regular guy and he would take the car, but on a Monday, three days after I was out of inspection. So I chose to drop the car off instead of driving for half an hour and waiting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply Ken. Yes, I would opt for my local mechanic and the convenience of dropping my car off.
Joan