Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Spotted Lanternfly


I have been disassembling the sink I built when I built a darkroom in the basement back in 1970.  It was built out of birch plywood and coated with epoxy.  It was large enough that I had to cut the sink into three parts to get it out of the darkroom today.  I put the parts on the front porch and will take them to the dump on Saturday.  When I came out with some other pieces, I saw this "bug" on another piece of wood that was on the porch.  I was stunned by how it looks and thought that with the red and white spots on black that it was one of the most spectacular insects I have ever seen.  I grabbed my camera with the macro lens on it, but only managed two photographs before it suddenly sprang away - I think it jumped at least six feet and then it was gone!  The Phillips head screw gives a sense of the size of this insect.  I described it to Kathy and said I have never seen this before, and she went on the web, and came back with stunning news!  This is a Spotted Lanternfly, in the nymph stage.  There was a story in Newsday the day before about how they are migrating into the area.  The invasive insect, known for its bright red wings, consumes plants and ruins them with sticky honeydew The most recent credible Long Island sightings have mostly been in Nassau County, but they are expected to increase throughout the summer as nymphs turn into more visible adults later this month, state officials said.  Grapes are especially vulnerable to the spotted lanternfly, which can swarm the vines and weaken them — taking a bite out of an industry vital to both Long Island and the state. Officials have said New York is the third-largest grape producer in the United States. The spotted lanternfly, which is native to Asia, was discovered in the United States in 2014 in Pennsylvania. Experts believe eggs likely traveled overseas in construction materials.  WOW!  So New York State says if you see one, kill it, then preserve it in alcohol and report it on the web, to the state!  So this is a really bad insect.  And I got to see it up close!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not like bugs(with exception to Ladybugs). However, this bug is striking with its’ red & black “plaid” coat with white spots. Now your mission is to find it and kill it before it causes damage to nature! Betsey

Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous looking bug, but has caused so much damage. Word on the internet -Kill it! I did enjoy reading about Long Island being known for growing so many grapes. I know they have several wineries on the island, I just never thought about it. Learn something new everyday.
Joan