Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Buyouts & Layoffs


We had a meeting to hear of buyouts and layoffs at the place where I work. Friends and colleagues are suddenly out of work, Lives changed completely, BANG! just like that! Many others are taking the buyouts which are offered. Entire departments are being eliminated. We have been through this so many times in the last five years, it just seems beyond belief that we are having yet another round of buyouts and layoffs. Everything seems so bleak. When I came home from my astronomy meeting tonight I set up the telescope on a crystal clear night and spent time just looking at the planet Saturn, hanging there looking so beautiful in a jet black sky. Some sense of the eternal, it seems, to anchor my place in the cosmos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the problems at your employer - incredible amount of stress in the financial markets these days starting to impact many unrelated industries.
My business is also in the middle of the crisis but once a day I take a couple minutes to check out your blog which brings me to a better place. So thanks for bringing us some shineshine each day.

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you for the kind words. Sorry for the bleak photos... I will find some "sunny" photographs in a day or two, I think... I will be headed upstate for a few days, and I always find stuff along the way!

Anonymous said...

I think sunshine was probably not the word I was looking for so please don't apologize for bleak photos. Facinating for me to not only view but to then read your thoughts regarding the things you photograph.