Thursday, March 20, 2008

Taking the Buyout!


Well, they have made an offer I can't (or shouldn't) refuse, so I am taking the buyout! I never thought that I would - I was planning to work for another four years or so, but the financial security from this offer wasn't something I could walk away from. So here I am with my signed buyout document. Wow... 41 years at the paper, and I am not finished working, but I am done working here. I will continue to photograph, of course, because photography is not something I do, but something I am. I am really excited for the immediate future, with the prospect of a lot of free time for a number of projects. I plan to finish roofing the house, rebuilding the top of the chimney, building a new telescope for the 18" mirror I ordered last September, building a kayak from a kit, and maybe even going to Texas to live with a group of cloistered monks for a few days to do photographs for them. All this should keep me busy for a week or two!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and don't forget your ASTROLOGY - you can always fall back on that. teeheehee your astrology buddy !You will be greatly missed ! I would sign in but I forgot my password buddy

Anonymous said...

And I hear by the grapevine that your wife has been waiting for some time for you to weed out the basement.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your colleagues but excited for you. 41 years is a long time - rare these days for anyone to stay at one place that long which means you must have really enjoyed your career. Hopefully this also means for time for the blog...

Amy said...

Wow, dad. That is something. I got teary-eyed reading this, just thinking of how hard it is to walk away from something you've been at so long. I mean, FORTY-ONE YEARS. That's longer than I've been alive. I'm thrilled for you and proud you're brave enough to take the step. And I'm sure we'll all benefit from your new joie de vivre!

Midge said...

What? You don't work for the paper anymore? I guess I have been out of it for too long. More time for yourself and this blog. Yea!