Wednesday, March 12, 2008

How Long?


How long ago was this silo built? How long will it continue to lean before it finally falls? I drove to Rochester where I am giving two lighting workshops at the Northern Short Course, and for most of the day I was driving in and out of snow showers. The landscape seemed magical - I saw photographs everywhere, and stopped often. But my favorite photo of the day is this silo on Route 96 in Catatonk. I have driven past this at least once a year for the past 44 years, and it still stands, and still leans. I am always drawn to houses and artifacts and evidences of the past. That they continue to stand long after they are abandoned is amazing to me and reaches something deep within. I cannot pass them by. Maybe it is the feeling that I can save evidence of their having been, proof that they once existed. I have taken many photographs of barns over the years that no longer exist, except in my photographs.

1 comment:

Amy said...

what a beautiful thought, that so many things live on in your photos that don't exist anymore. it always makes me think of that canyon you have a book on, that later filled with water, and will never be hiked again (well, maybe in another 20,000 years...). Very eerie shot.