Sunday, March 9, 2008

An Interesting Project


What do you mean "Interesting project? That's a church, right?" Yes it is. St. Brigid's in Westbury, the parish we belong to. This is the view from where we sit on Sundays. It is a beautiful Norman style stone church, built in 1915, with granite removed from excavations for the New York subway system. I first came here to work on a year-long story with my friend Bob Keeler about the life of a parish. When the story was finished, we joined the church. But that's not the "project" of the title. The project is those tall stained-glass windows in the background. They are something like 40 feet in the air, and I have been asked to photograph them for a historical record. Of course to do that, I have to be level with them. That involves the help of another parishioner who is a painter. He will bring in REALLY tall ladders, and I will climb up until I am level with the windows, then do photographs of each panel, and the small windows to the sides. Should be an interesting view when I get up there! I plan to be tied off with a safety rope. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Amy said...

Scaa-aary! But I guess it's like working on a roof...only much prettier. :)