Friday, March 28, 2008

The Last Day


(photograph by John Williams)
I had a strangely unemotional last day, and I am not sure why. Maybe because it seemed so familiar. I had one assignment, which was really nice. It was to cover a woman who started a foundation to teach the value of laughter in healing as she made a presentation to a group of hospital staff workers. Then I came to the office where there was a goodbye party for 15 colleagues in the feature section. Lots of wonderful words, and comments and thanks and hugs. And still it felt like an ordinary day. Then I turned in my cameras (still and video) and my laptop, and signed the papers and left the building for the last time. I asked my friend John Williams if he would do a photo of me leaving. I like this photo a lot. Nice feeling about it, I think. Maybe an ambivalent look on my face, which is how I feel. Perhaps the sadness of leaving is tempered by the excitement I feel to suddenly have so much time for projects I am anxious to work on. Stay tuned, and I will let you know how it goes from here on out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the eyes of the beholder...
Makes me sad...Ken Spencer is synonymous with Newsday.
Makes me curious and almost excited...I wonder how his remarkable energy will manifest itself, now that he has complete freedom to utilize those creative juices.
Makes me happy for the rest of us...we will continue to reap the benefits of his talents.

Amy said...

Wow. I can't believe it. What a life change. I feel equally mixed for you, it's sad but it's exciting as heck. I'm glad you have this photograph, it seems to say so much...

Anonymous said...

Seems to me you are looking forward, not back, and doing it with confidence.
Best of luck with the next chapter of your life but from what I have read in your blog you are not one to sit still. I would bet a dollar (not a big spender) that you will take another job within 6 months. Bet ?

Ken Spencer said...

For "spt" -

You're on! For a buck... :-) I have so many projects that I want to work on - building a new astronomical telescope with an 18" mirror that I have already ordered, and getting back to flying (Cessna 172) and working on the house - I am half way through putting a new roof on, single-handedly. So I have plenty to do. I think I have way too much to do, to get another job. Maybe freelance, though, after a while.

Anonymous said...

Freelance work counts :-)