Friday, June 26, 2009

Clearing Storm


A cold front came through late this afternoon, with its attendant thunderstorms. Lots of rain and lightning and dark as night at one point. But beautiful, of course. I happened to look out at the garage a bit later, and it was orange and pink in color! I got my camera and went to the back yard. It was then that I looked at the sky to the west and was stunned. I am not sure of all the cloud types, but it was an amazing sky. I photographed it for about twenty minutes, and I like this one best. It is so unusual to get anywhere near this much color in the sky. Please click on this small image to see a larger one with better color. You will be stunned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, was that beautiful. Amazing what a storm can do.
If you want to know what type of clouds they are, try cloudappreciationsociety.org. They have lots of info and they display great cloud photos like yours. They'd probably love it as much as I do. Di

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous! A few of my NYC friends posted pictures and descriptions of the sky from yesterday's storm on Facebook. Nothing as spectacular as yours, though. Maybe the light reflecting off L I Sound pumped up the color. Or it could just be the photographer.

MJ

Ken Spencer said...

MJ: I would *like* to think it was the photographer... :-) Glad you figured out how to post!

Di: I will go check out cloudappreciationsociety.org - thanks for the link. I am pretty familiar with most cloud types, since I am a pilot, but there were a number of layers in the sky at different levels, so it might be a problem to figure it all out. Thanks for the link!