Monday, June 1, 2009

Oyster Shells


Larry called me the other day and asked if I had a clam knife and an oyster knife, which of course I do. Someone had given him a small bag of oysters and clams. He wasn't sure about exactly how to do it, so I went over there with my knives. I have not opened or eaten an oyster in perhaps 20 years, which is strange, because I LOVE them! So I got my knife, and gradually remembered how to open them. So I opened them all, and was rewarded with some to eat. They were delicious. I got to thinking, "Why would anyone even begin to think there was even food in there?" And the shells are not attractive at all. So I decided to photograph them, because that's how I study something that interests me. So here is one shell, inside and out. Please click to make it larger to study them in more detail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did anyone ever decide to open the shell and eat what was inside? I love oysters now, but my first experience was Moe Knox filling our kitchen sink with them. Dad was in his glory, I choked! :-)
jse

Anonymous said...

Joan & I go to the Milford Oyster Festival every summer to try at least 6 different oysters at a time. They're all so different in taste. And they're all still ugly & dirty looking! Good thing I learned to like them as a kid...bsk

Amy said...

What a beautiful shot! And I agree with Betsey--good thing we learn to eat and love those things as kids, because it's so worth it to love them now! I love seeing the inside and outside laid together like that...