Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Picking Time


It is apple picking time in upstate New York. I was reminded of this when I saw these crates of apples at Red Jacket Farms in Geneva, NY. We drove through there on the way home, and so I had to stop and buy a bag of just-picked McIntosh apples. Then I saw these crates. Their size is deceptive - each of these crates is perhaps three or four feet tall, and they are moved around by forklift trucks. This is just a small section of the stored crates. A lot of apples! And when I bit into the Macs, they split with a crack. There is nothing like a fresh Mac.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Now I want an apple and do not have any. Do they pick the apples, load them into a truck and then transfer to these crates for shipping?
Joan

Anonymous said...

I always think of stopping at Bishops and Dad would get a basket of fresh apples. We would all munch on the drive home...Of course, I want an apple now! bsk

Ken Spencer said...

You know, that's a good question. I am not sure of the purpose of the apple crates. I am thinking that most likely they travel to the orchards to receive the freshly picked apples. But I actually never thought of WHAT the crated were used for!

Neen said...

We love Mac's in our house. We go to Lyman Orchards every year and pick them ourselves...guilty Irish CAtholic confession-we usually each eat one as we pick.....