Friday, September 2, 2011

Beautifully Done


I have been doing some walking around town lately, checking out things after the storm. Sometimes even slowly cruising on my mountain bike is moving too fast. So one of my rewards was noticing this beautiful small work of construction. This is the house number on a fence in front of a Victorian home here in Sea Cliff. There is this wall made from heavy timbers, and they have carefully made a recessed area, and then spanning the top of the recess is a lintel, with another detail in the center, and then the wonderful typography. I was taken aback that someone would take this much trouble to do something so beautifully. Of course, I know the feeling because this is important to me both in my work as a photographer, and as a carpenter and telescope maker.

No comments: