Saturday, September 3, 2011

Neighbors


I was going to title this post "Commonplace." But I worried that it would be referring to the people I photographed, so I called it "Neighbors" instead. Why I wanted to call it commonplace is because it is really difficult to record the commonplace in our lives. Things we see every day - things we are so used to that we are unable to really "see" them, especially when we are looking for photographs. I stopped to talk to the neighbors down the street. We talked about the storm and about the electric being off, and then we talked about our kids. Then I realized I had a photograph in front of me. We have known them for so many years, and our children grew up together. So I asked if it would be OK to take their portrait. It just occurred to me that it would be nice to have a portrait of them after all these years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice & the sun is shining! So often we hurry in our lives and forget how wonderful the "commonplace" is.
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Yes, so true. Thanks for the comment. It's funny because I was standing there talking to them for over half an hour, and it was only when I was getting ready to leave, that I thought about taking a portrait of them. Duh! At least I FINALLY figured it out!