Thursday, December 3, 2015

Crepuscular Rays


I was on my way to the plumbing store, and noticed in the distance, the rays of the sun coming through breaks in the clouds.  I realized that if I ignored the plumbing store and took a left to the end of the road, I would end up at the harbor.  I had hopes that the rays would still be showing when I got to the water.  There are still some showing, although they are down near the horizon.  In any case the clouds and sky are pretty spectacular.  "Crepuscular rays" are the actual name for the heaven-like shafts of sunlight.  They happen because particles in the air scatter short wavelengths of light. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the "reindeer" figure at the top of the clouds! I know you've shown Crepuscular rays before but it's still a marvel to see the rays shining through. bsk

Ken Spencer said...

I can't find the reindeer! Help! Can you describe where the reindeer is?

Anonymous said...

At the top of the picture - the blue section. His nose is pointed left. Small antlers. I have always liked finding shapes in the sky :-) bsk