Friday, December 18, 2015

New York to Los Angeles


Westbound once again, on Jet Blue, from the Big Apple to the Golden State.  It was cloudy until half way across the country, but fortunately, just before Colorado, the clouds dissipated and I could see the ground perfectly.  Not only that, it was about 3:30 PM local time, so the sun was low in the western sky and there were long shadows everywhere.  I had the most astounding view of the desert that I have ever had.  The late sun illuminated the brightly colored geologic layers of the landscape.  I have never seen such brilliant colors of this landscape before.  I saw this scene come into view, and I started photographing, and then thought "I think that this may be Monument Valley!"  I had to wait until we arrived in Venice to check Google Earth, and sure enough this is the place!  I have seen it a number of times from the ground, but never from the air. An astounding day over one of my favorite landscapes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! Great shapes and texture. The color is amazing. Must have been worth the wait after all the clouds. -- Stan

Ken Spencer said...

Stan: I went nuts when I first saw snow capped mountains to the east of this spot. I was shooting as if I was on a spot news job! Every minute another shape or feature came into view. This will sound funny, because I was seated in an airplane, but I was exhausted from looking and shooting for an hour or so!

Photodude Images said...

If you look really closely you can see Clint Eastwood on a horse down there and in the other corner lies the Ponderosa.

Anonymous said...

Ken, That means you're a real photographer, you can't not take pictures given the great subject matter. Have fun!-- Stan