Sunday, January 10, 2021

Building the Heathkit


So many people wrote me and said that I couldn't have been smart enough to put a Heathkit together!  But today, completely randomly, I found evidence!  OK, this is unbelievable!  I went up to the attic to start going through old photographs in boxes that haven't been looked at for YEARS.  Seriously.  Had no idea what was in them.  I took about 8 boxes and started through them.  And this is what I found!  I mean, this is astounding!  I had no idea that I still had these photos!  This is me, standing in the back yard with the box that my new Heathkit kit came in!  You can tell I am excited, because I am standing in snow with no jacket on.


And here I am on my desk with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, wrapping a wire around a terminal of a potentiometer, before soldering it.  The soldering iron is in its holder in the lower right corner of the photo, and the partially finished Heathkit is in the center of the photo.  What else do you notice?  That I am wearing a striped shirt, instead of my signature white shirt?   :-)  Below I am hunched over some part of the construction, using my soldering iron to make connections.  Seeing all these photograph brings it all back!  Wow...  OK I was kidding about people telling me I wasn't smart enough to build this.  I just was checking to see if you believed that...   :-)




 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you found these photos to share of you constructing your kit. You were so young and smart and now you are older and even smarter! :-)
Joan

Ken Spencer said...

Thank you for your belief in me!

Anonymous said...

It's just great that you had that "tinkering" gene and decided to put your kit together. I laughed when I read that people wrote that you weren't smart enough. NOT! Love all 3 photos. I spotted the photo of Liz & Amy at a young age on your wall. Hope to see more photographs from years ago...betsey