Thursday, January 21, 2021

First Quarter Moon

 

Forgive my fascination with the Moon these last couple of days.  I know I just posted a photograph a few days ago, and here is another.  The difference is that I used a 600mm lens on my camera to photograph the moon then, and this time I am using a telescope with a focal length of 1378mm.  So today's photograph of the moon completely filled the frame of the camera.  In fact, had it been a full moon, it would not have fitted within the frame at all!  What you are looking at, starting on the right side is the Sea of Serenity (I will leave out the latin names...)  The curving mountain range in the bottom center is the Apennine  mountains, and the largest of three craters, just to the left of center and up near the top is Archimedes.  If you come look through my telescope, I will show you even more interesting things!  What a wonderful thing is the surface of the moon!  Please click on the picture to see it in more detail.


I thought that you might be interested in seeing the size of the original photograph, and you can see near the top of this photograph of the moon, where the small area I showed above came from.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Thank you.
Joan

Anonymous said...

This is so cool. I love looking at the full moon but this is extraordinary. Would love to see the moon through your telescope...betsey

Ken Spencer said...

When Covid is over, I am bringing one of my telescopes to Connecticut, when the weather is warm and it is first quarter moon! That's a promise. Oh, and we can eat dinner together!