Monday, January 25, 2021

Strange Light


I love this photograph because it is so strange.  It will take you a minute to get your bearings.  I was going up to bed last night, and turned out all the lights downstairs.  As I stood in the darkened room, my eyes gradually adjusted to the darkness and I noticed faint areas of light on the walls.  So I waited for my eyes to adapt more and realized that the brightest light on the wall was from the streetlight on the front corner of the property.  Then I noticed another light coming from almost the same direction, but fainter.  I checked and realized that light was from a neighbor's "security light" on their house.  I freaking HATE security lights!  They steal the night from all of us, and don't add any "security."  They can make it really difficult to do astronomy when they are on.  I digress.  I just thought that the strange lights in the living room were amazing.  Oh, and one other thing...  If you look out the window it looks like daylight and you can see our neighbor's car in her driveway.  That, is from the nearly full moon shining on the landscape!  What is so strange is that if you were standing there with me, you would have been looking at an almost completely dark room!  Such is the power of digital photography and long exposures to gather enough faint light to reveal this scene.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lighting is so warm and welcoming in your beautiful living room. Thankful for your patience and long exposures. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love the sepia tone in this photo. Reminds me of the Guilford living room photograph that you did many "moons" ago. I thought it was strange to see the darkened room with daylight outside. Amazing what you can do...betsey

Ken Spencer said...

Wow, you are right, the light in this post looks like the light in that photograph of the fireplace in the living room at "Westside." I should try and find a copy of that photograph and post it here, sometime in the future.