Saturday, January 23, 2021

My Cycling Award!


This is my cycling reward that I just got!  Well I just got it because I just finished making it!  I glued some pine boards together and then routed a cove around the edges, and then put three coats of spar varnish on it.  Then I fastened these bike shoes on it with screws, and made a label for it.  The story is that when I retired, there was a small party with friends and colleagues, and they took up a collection as a gift.  I used the money, $168 to buy these shoes, back in March of 2008.  They were shiny silver in color when new.  I have ridden my bike with these since I retired, and stopped using them in September of 2020.  I don't consider myself a disciplined person, but I am proud of my riding discipline.  9,134 miles in these shoes!  I do have another bike and other shoes for that one, so my total mileage is more than this.  But this is significant mileage.  A lot of time on the road!  Here is the text I put on the board.  Please click on the photo to see how beat up these shoes are after all these years.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Impressive amount of miles for these old shoes and you. Love the story and your new purchase in 2008. Did you actually frame them on the wood board? Where will you display this? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love that you made such a huge effort to make an award for yourself! Great story! Amazing that you have ridden so many miles and kept track of them. Keep riding!!! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

I made the wood plaque, and varnished it, and screwed the shoes to it. It will be displayed in the front hall, so visitors will see it and be impressed! JUST KIDDING. It is displayed in my workshop in the basement! :-)