Friday, February 2, 2024

Fun City Week II


At the first gallery we went to, there was an exhibition of Cindy Sherman's new work.  I have been a huge fan of her work over the years.  She is the photographer and the subject in all her work.  She dresses up as other people and she always looks so different and her photographs are amazing.  But this show is different.  I think is has to do with her dealing with age. So you can see one image on the wall in the background.  It is so bizarre!  This is Stan and Ann figuring out what subway o take to the next gallery.  I really like how I eventually "saw" this image, where Stan and Ann are out of focus, and the background is the only thing that is in focus in the image.  I really like this image as a different way of seeing for me.


Here are three more photographs from the exhibit.  Please click on the image to enlarge it and see the three portraits more clearly.  It was actually not a pleasant experience viewing these photographs, I am sad to say.  But i'm not all that smart about some things, so maybe I just don't get this exhibit.



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very bizarre! The top one is too freakish for me. I don’t known how she changes her face so outlandishly…Next exhibit, please. Betsey

Liz Spencer said...

I didn't know she had new work out! I'm no expert, but I'd say that appreciating her work isn't so much about aesthetic enjoyment, but how she creates in stark contrast with what is expected of women... I admire how "ugly" she makes herself to get her message across. But no, maybe not so enjoyable to gaze upon.

I also think she's a bit of a trickster; I heard that she can walk around her own exhibitions unrecognized because she is so disguised in her art. The last time I saw an exhibit of her work I spent half the time looking at the people in the galleries to see if she was there! And she grew up on Long Island, so she's one of us ;)