Wednesday, September 22, 2021

An Experiment


So on Tuesday, our Dunkin' Day at the Beach, as we were finishing up our breakfast, I noticed this clump of some kind of sea grass in the water, just off the beach.  This seemed really unusual because this is a swimming beach and this is an area that gets completely covered with water when the tide comes in.  Closer in to shore, near the bulkhead, there are large areas of this grass which I have photographed before.  But this small patch seemed unusual.  So I decided to try and make an interesting landscape photograph that included this grass.  It is amazing to see how different the two photographs are, shot in different directions.  Which photograph do you find more interesting?  I tried to find out what this grass is called, and the best I could do is that it may be "eelgrass."


 

6 comments:

ken schwarz said...

For me, the second shot is the winner with more color but also for the more interesting shoreline with a lone tree at the end!

Anonymous said...

I like the second photo better as it is much brighter, and the sand color and shoreline is so calming. Love the lone tree.
Joan

John Speroni said...

I prefer the 2nd photo.

1st photo looks wintry and stormy. Cold, gray, low sun creating deep shadows. This scene might look better in black and white.

2nd photo looks more like summer with the bluer sky reflecting off water. The distant tree adds interest.

Did you use auto white balance? I'm curious what color temperature your camera detected for the 2 different angles.

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time picking one. They have a different mood but the scenes are both lovely. Trace

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a difference between the photos. The top one looks cold and dreary. The bottom one looks warm and inviting. I prefer the bottom photo. Love the single tree in the distance. betsey

Ken Spencer said...

So this is fun, and I appreciate all of you talking about your favorite photo! I guess it is a valuable experiment - When I took the two photographs, I was standing in two different places, perhaps only 40 feet apart. Hardly a large change in viewpoint but what a difference in feeling in the photographs! I am so glad I posted both, when I couldn't decide which I liked better. For the technical part, I pretty much always use Auto White Balance, like all the professional books say not to do! But proof of the pudding is that the color of the sand on the beach is pretty much exactly the same in both photographs. Thank you all for checking in! You are all such faithful viewers of my blog and I really appreciate that!