Monday, September 13, 2021

Great Meadow Hills Farm


My friend Dick has been photographing Rhode Island for 50 years.  He knows the whole state like the back of his hand.  This is one of the buildings at a place called Great Meadow Hills Farm - it is a chicken coop, one of the many buildings and barns on the farm.  Dick has been photographing this farm for about 50 years, and he knows the family and children who grew up and worked here.  So he took me by the farm to show me the place where he has taken so many beautiful photographs, and I met one of the sons who keeps the farm running.  More on that in another post.  I just love the way that one building has had another building added to it, and how each of these buildings, including the corn crib are all so different.  I also love that the largest building looks like a face with eyes and mouth!  I think that's why I took this picture.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised to see the chicken coop raised up on posts. Do you suppose that is so the chickens can have shelter under the building if they are not ready to walk up the ramp and go inside? Odd, that the middle window is different. I guess that is the "nose" between the "eyes"! :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction as Joan about the chicken coop being raised up on posts. I like the rickety ramp going into the "mouth"! betsey

Ken Spencer said...

I would guess that when the ramp is lifted up, then predators can't get into the chicken coop. Just a guess...

Anonymous said...

An interesting building! I like how you were able to photograph a few chickens too! Trace