Friday, December 3, 2021

Catching Up IV

What a relief!  When I woke this morning Blogspot fixed whatever the problem was trying to import photographs, and now I can post the photographs and write the blog.  Whew!  So when Liz was here and we were doing the "treasure hunting" which is actually called "Letter Boxing" we went to the Garvies Point Museum and Preserve on one of our stops.  The Museum is a center for research on Long Island geology and a valued resource in the study of the Island's Native American archaeology.  I descended the stairs down the cliff to the beach, and while looking around for photographs, saw this purple rock!  Wow, a purple rock?  Wow!  Looking around on the wet sand and gravel a short distance from this, I found some gooey purple "stuff."  It turned out to be soft clay, of all things!


As I turned around to climb back up the stairs I saw these colors in the bottom of the cliff.  What you are looking at are, from the bottom up, layers of clay - a whitish clay, a purple clay, a dark gray clay and then the sand of the cliff above.  What an astounding sight to see these at the bottom of the cliff.  I am guessing that the Native Americans who lived here would think of these clays as an amazing thing to have at their disposal for making pottery.  Now I need to go back to Garvies Point and view the museum and read about all of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Keep us posted when you visit the museum.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I love this beautiful purple color of the clay. Amazing to see such a gorgeous color rock. Glad you showed both photos. betsey