Sunday, December 12, 2021

The Investigation


So as promised, I carried out an investigation this afternoon.  I waited until the sun was in the west, which is the direction that the cliff faces.  I wanted direct sunlight on the ruins of the house and the cliff.  What was fun was, when I was walking up to the site, I went by a house several houses away from this site, and the owners are friends of mine.  Charlie was out working getting leaves out of his gutters, and I recognized him.  So I asked what happened here.  He said the collapse of the cliff was caused by a heavy rainstorm about seven or eight years ago, and the house has just been left derelict since.  He also said that it was tough to find someone to buy the property, as you can imagine.  And then having done that, it can be a problem with the village approving the plans for building a new house.  I forgot to ask him, but I believe this was a multi story house, and since this structure was condemned, I am guessing that all the upper floors have been removed.


So apparently, the good news is that someone has bought the property, and the plans for the stabilization of the cliff and then new house have been approved.  So I will be fascinated to watch all this develop. 


I cannot imagine the day the flood of water came down the driveway, where I am standing, and flowed over the edge and down the cliff, through the opening in the lower left of this photo.  What a story!



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thing Liz came home and you explored new areas nearby. So sad that this happened years ago and has been abandoned. I thought this was from the recent storm damaged you photographed a couple of months ago. It will be interesting to see how the new owners proceed. Keep your Investigator Hat on for when Spring arrives.
Joan