Monday, January 24, 2022

Ancient History


This is a strange and funny picture!  It's something photographers do when they are out on assignment working with a writer.  This is my friend Chapin Day at Theodore Roosevelt's grave in Oyster Bay.  I think I took it maybe in 1972.  It is raining, I have no idea what we were doing there.  Chapin was a good friend - he was a sailor and we spent some time sailing my Lightning class boat together.  He was a Thistle class sailor.  He left Newsday and then went to the Philadelphia Inquirer for a few years, then he went back to his home, California where he worked in television.  I called him the other day and we had a nice long talke and he said he found this photograph and sent it to me.  I have no recollection at all of taking this photograph!  Here is a close-up version!




 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This photo made me laugh! You look like a "mobster" with a gun hidden under your coat :-) It was great that your friend sent the photo. betsey

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful found treasure! I thought you looked like a young detective LOL. How nice that you have maintained contact with Chapin for all these years. I am so happy he sent this photo to you.
Joan