Wednesday, February 9, 2022

A Sun Dog!


So it's the usual thing, I walked down to the water on a cold day, to see what I can see.  I was stunned to see this Sun Dog as the first thing I spied when I got to the harbor!  I don't remember the last time I saw one of these, and this one is quite brilliant.  Sun Dogs are an atmospheric optical phenomenon that consists of a bright spot to one or both sides of the Sun.  They are caused by the refraction and scattering of light from hexagonal ice crystals suspended in high and cold cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.  The crystals act as prisms, bending the light rays passing through them.  Sun dogs are best seen and most conspicuous when the sun is near the horizon.  A beautiful thing is it not?


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a "Sun Dog" but it is spectacular! I'm so glad you captured this scene and explained it. So cool! betsey

Anonymous said...

Love this photo. Both the sky and the water are beautiful! I have never heard of or seen a sky dog either. Trace