Monday, February 21, 2022

R.S.V.P 1 - Senga Nengudi


It is really interesting to me when I walk into a gallery and a work of art jumps out at me.  I have no idea why that happens.  I really don't.  But this sculpture did just that.  It was quite different both in the way it was displayed, and the shapes, which are so unusual.  This is a close-up of the main part of the sculpture. 


This is a photograph of the entire sculpture.  It is made with nylon stockings and sand.  The title is R.S.V.P 1 and I have no idea what that means.  But here is what the sculpture is about:  "R.S.V.P. 1 reflects on Nengudi's first pregnancy and her experience of watching her changing body.  "I am working with nylon mesh because it relates to the elasticity of the body," she explained.  "From tender, tight beginnings to sagging...   the body can only stand so much push and pull until it gives away, never to resume its original shape."



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks so cool!! Like what it relates to. betsey