Friday, August 19, 2022

American Vernacular


Stan and I have this "thing" when we are photographing, wherever we are, and we have called it "American Vernacular."  The official definition is "Vernacular architecture is an architectural style that is designed based on local needs, availability of construction materials and reflecting local traditions. At least originally, vernacular architecture did not use formally schooled architects, but relied on the design skills and tradition of local builders." We photograph things that are commonplace whether they are buildings or other things people have built.  Our definition is not really accurate, but we have this thing where we know it when we see it.  We are photographers, not philosophers.  I have photographed this house in Sea Cliff before - it is across the street from the Post Office.  But on this day, everything seemed different because of my white car in front.  I have no idea why, but the scene felt different, and so I went to the car, got my camera and made this photograph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The home has character with the peaks, porch and different railings. And they are proudly flying the American Flag.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I like the flowers hanging from the lamppost along with the flag, the interesting porch railing and the unusual roof line. So much character! betsey