Wednesday, August 31, 2022

The Crescent Moon


We had an in-person astronomy meeting at the Vanderbilt Planetarium tonight.  I arrived early and when I got out of my car, saw a beautiful crescent moon in the western sky.  But it was over a dark line of trees - not an interesting composition at all.  But...  I remembered this tree at the far end of the parking lot, so grabbed my camera and my 70-200mm lens out of the trunk and headed over toward the tree. Look what I saw as I got closer to the tree!  Perfect!  So I started shooting a few frames, and suddenly I noticed an airline jet climbing away, traveling from the west - probably from JFK.  I had a chance to shoot two frames with the aircraft in it.  I am not sure if the airplane matters, but it was there, so I decided to choose this frame. 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great 2 for 1 photo. :-)
Joan

Anonymous said...

Thought the plane was a large hawk until I enlarged your photo. I saw the crescent moon last night and thought of you :-) betsey

Anonymous said...

The moon is so bright and beautiful. Interesting how you caught the plane in the photo. It is so small in the night sky. Trace