Thursday, September 1, 2022

A Quick Project


Last week on a Wednesday night we had an observing session with our telescopes at the planetarium.  There were a bunch of people there, including two moms with their kids.  There were a lot of telescopes to look through, and eventually they came to look through mine.  Unfortunately, I was using a different telescope with an eyepiece that was much higher off the ground. So the two moms and another woman had to stand on their tiptoes in order to look at Saturn.  I am a great believer that everyone needs to be relaxed in order to observe objects carefully.  So I had a flash, and thought that I should make a platform only six inches high that would be lightweight and could be carried and moved around the telescope easily.  That's why the slot in the center - that's where you put your hand to pick it up and it is well balanced if you lift it  there.  So I found some scrap 1/2" plywood in the garage and cut all the parts out in short order, and then the next day fastened the parts together with wood glue and screws.


It is not a fine piece of furniture, but it is very sturdy and serviceable.  I wish I had used new plywood, though because the finish is a bit rough.  I know people will only be walking on it so what does it matter.  I guess it's a matter of pride that it look good when finished.  Anyhow, it is painted all white so no one will trip over it in the dark.  But when I was done painting it, above, It looked bland.  Well, it IS bland.  Who cares.  Well, I care.  I thought it needed something else.  Maybe something so both adults and children would know it was meant to be stepped on!  And the lightbulb went on!  And my solution is shown below.  I think it makes this a wonderful observing accessory, instead of just some "thing."  I love my new creation!


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever and thoughtful of you. Love the finished project and blue foot prints. You are a "Jack of All Trades".
Joan

ken schwarz said...

Your well-made hand-built platform got me to thinking about building Codes for Stair Risers and Treads. According to the International Residential Code (IRC), the riser shall be no more that 7.75" high for fixed stairways and any variation of riser heights shall be no more that .375". I could not find any information concerning height limits for platforms used for star gazing when using a telescope; but, I think your 6.0" height is a nice compromise for shorter women and children who wish to enjoy a more comfortable star gazing experience. Very thoughtful indeed, and a project nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, practical and cute at the same time! betsey