Friday, September 30, 2022

The Providence River


Dick and I went to downtown Providence today and drove around.  He has photographed Providence all his life, and sells beautiful photographs of the city he knows so well, through a gallery in town.  So we drove down streets that were familiar to me from his photographs that I have seen.  Then we went down to the Providence River to see a new very modern, very beautiful pedestrian bridge across the river.  What happened some years ago was that they moved Interstate 195 where it crossed the river, to a brand new bridge south of this location.  You can see the new curved bridge for I-195 on the left in the distance.  Then they built a new pedestrian bridge, where I am standing, where I-195 used to be.  One reason I took this photograph is that I really love the look of the power plant with the three stacks on the right.  You know that I love industrial stuff and so I have the power plant and then two different bridges.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the bridge in front a railroad bridge? Are you standing on the pedestrian bridge? betsey

Ken Spencer said...

That is an automobile bridge. It looks that way because in the old days, It would rotate 90 degrees so larger boats could navigate up the river. But it is permanently fixed the the closed position for traffic now.