Tuesday, September 6, 2022

At the Harbor


So in desperation of finding some nice photographs for the blog, I decided to abandon real creativity, and go with cheap tricks!   :-)   I got out my old SONY a200k which is a smallish mostly plastic digital single lens reflex camera that I bought for $525 when I retired back in 2008 to carry around in the car all the time.  I didn't want my brand new Nikon D-300 and lenses which I bought at the same time, bouncing around in the trunk of the car wherever I went.  I would only carry the Nikon when I knew I was going to photograph something special.  Anyhow, the Sony a200k was a faithful camera, worked perfectly, but after about 10 years of using it almost every day for the blog, I thought I better replace it before it died because that was the camera I took on vacations, because it was much lighter than my heavy Nikon.  So, still working perfectly, I decided to send it off and have it converted with the addition of a special filter that allows that camera to only see infrared light.  You have seen photos like this that I have done before.  So I have started taking it with me just in case I saw things that might look better in infrared.  So of course I was driving along the shore of the harbor and stopped to shoot this and I think it is a winner!  Such wonderful shapes of trees, living and dead and cumulus in the distance, and of course the strangeness of any deciduous trees which show their foliage in white because they reflect so much infrared light.  I hope you like my "cheap trick."

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good trick, but now I am confused as it looks like snow covered shrubs across the way and as I remember the land across the water is much further away. The dead tree in the center makes a unique setting for the other trees in showing the infrared leaves.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I must confess I am usually not drawn to photos from your modified camera that produce shades of gray images via infrared "cheap trick" photography. Today's photo, however, is captivating. The scene, at one of my most favorite locations on Long Island, is perfectly composed. But its the magical range of tones from dark trees in the foreground to the light in the sky beyond that make the shot! "At The Harbor" easily qualifies as a "wall hanger"!

Ken Spencer said...

Joan: So anything with chlorophyl in it will reflect infrared light, and grass has chlorophyl so it looks like snow as you noticed. The land across the harbor is a long way away - approximately 2000 feet. Maybe it looks different because I used a wide angle lens.

Primo: I did one unusual thing with this infrared photograph. The photographs with this converted camera include some bluish tints and some brown/reddish tints, and usually I desaturate the photograph so it is only black and white but for this shot I did like the color differences.

Anonymous said...

The composition of this photo is just perfect! I actually like the gray tones as it makes it look like a Sci-fi or horror movie set. For me, It's all about that small dead tree in the center...betsey