Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Rusty Pilot's Course


A week ago Saturday I attended a "Rusty Pilot's Course" offered to members of the Aircraft Owner's and Pilot's Association, out at MacArthur Airport in Islip. It was a three hour course that covered a lot of information that pilots need to know when flying, and which many of us are a bit "rusty" on.  We met in an aircraft hangar, and it was fun to be around airplanes, and hear airplanes just outside starting their engines.  Topics of the course included Pre-flight Preparation - Documents, Weather and NOTAMS, Airport Operations - Markings and Procedures, Radio Communications, and Airspace and Charts.  Whew!  A lot of stuff to review!  In addition, on my own I have been studying the aircraft manual and aircraft performance, FAA rules and regulations, Aerodynamics, Pilot techniques, and Aeromedical factors.  Whew!  I am exhausted just writing all that down!


It was a great way to spend the morning, talking and learning so many things about flying.  Sometimes I think my brain is full, but I keep adding stuff to it and I think that is good for us as we age, because it keeps us mentally sharp.  At least that's my theory!


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound like an interesting day. Looking at the planes reminded me of you flying over to Stratford Airport to pick Mom up for a visit with you. She had to climb on the wing to get into the plane. Will you be flying again soon?
Joan

Anonymous said...

Sounds exhausting and exhilarating at the same time!! Hope you can get through it all so you can fly again...betsey