Wednesday, September 21, 2022

A Light in the Steeple


I spent all day trying to figure out a photograph for the blog post tonight.  No luck.  I looked on the way driving to my astronomy meeting.  No luck.  But on the way home, I drove by the Old First Church in Huntington, which is a classic white church with beautiful steeple, and there was a light in the steeple!  There's my shot!  So I parked the car and did a number of photographs.  This one represents the scene best.  So I did some research as to why a church might have a light in it at night.  Here is a quote from the Clover Hill Reformed Church, in Hillsborough, NJ:  "The lighting of the steeple each night is a reassuring sign of hope, of God's presence.  It is a signal light, shining in the darkness and pointing us to this truth."  I love that thought!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so inquisitive and finding this wonderful quote. Beautiful photo but the words behind the light are beautiful too.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Reading this just brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely quote. Thank you for posting this photo and story. betsey

Anonymous said...

A really nice photo and I like the idea of the light being a sign of hope. Trace

Ken Spencer said...

I am so pleased that you were all moved by the quote I found about the reason for the light in the steeple. I loved that quote, and the reason for the light, as well.