Monday, September 5, 2022

Happy Labor Day!


The other day, on our astronomy mailing list, one of the really good astrophotographers posted a photograph that he made through his telescope of the "Elephant Trunk Nebula."  He posted it in both black & white and in color and he was not sure of which one he liked best. You can see the black & white version here:  Elephant Trunk Nebula  Other members over time chimed in and suggested which image they liked best.  There was no clear choice.  So that got me thinking.  Since this is labor day, and labor day is about work, I thought I would talk for a bit about how I work.  Here are two of my favorite photographs, one in color, and one in black and white.

The first photograph is "Road and Fence, Canyon de Chelly, AZ"  It was taken with a 35mm camera using color negative film..  The second photograph is "O'Neil's Grave" on El Camino del Diablo in Arizona.  It is a famous site. I made this photograph with black & white Polaroid Positive/Negative film using my 4x5 camera on a photograph workshop with a photographer named Mark Klett.  Both photographs were made with specific film, one in color and one in black & white.  How do I choose which film to use?


Ahah!  That is the question! So here is the answer I posted on the astronomy mailing list

As a photographer who has worked in both black & white and color  film in my professional work and in my personal work I feel I should be able to explain exactly why I like a black & white image or a color image.  But I can’t!  Some images just leave a powerful feeling in me that they should be done with just one film or the other.   And I can’t tell you why!  Go figure!  It just resonates with me in some way.  I wish I could offer some kind of reason, but I am at a loss…. It is all about feeling.  But of course feeling is how I work with everything. That’s how I determine composition in all my photographs.  I move the camera around and zoom in or out or walk nearer or further or left or right, and it is all based on feel. Then it just “feels right,” and I take the picture.   I wish I had a clue.  It is all intuitive by now, after photographing almost every day of my life since 8th grade!  That’s about 65 years!  You would think by now I know why I do what I do.  But I don’t.

There, that was helpful to everyone, right?  :-)  I hope everyone enjoyed their labor day.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had your first photo hanging in the living room on Seaside for years. My condo was so much smaller and I did not have a special place for it when I moved. Last week Betsey came down to celebrate a belated Birthday lunch. She took home 3 of your photos to enjoy a change of scenery at her place. Of course, they are only on loan in case I want them back! :-)

I love the black and white of the grave as it is a somber photo and could never be shown in color.
Joan

Betsey said...

I was so surprised to see the top shot of "Road and Fence" in Canyon de Chelly, AZ because I just brought it home from Joan's and hung it on my living room wall. Gorgeous colors! The grave is best in black and white as it's all about the grave and cross. The Elephant Trunk nebula is fantastic in black and white. Must be extraordinary in color...betsey

Anonymous said...

I like the choice you made for both photos. I agree with Joan that the photo of the grave is somber and the black and white fits it well. It's wonderful that you have had 65 years of doing what you love both professionally and personally. Trace