Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Eastbound on the LIE at Sunset


We were headed eastbound on the Long Island Expressway, on the way out to Orient for observing.  The sun was nearly set and most of the light was off the landscape.  I came up a hill to the top and suddenly there were these traffic signs over the road that were glowing with sunlight.  That's because they have Scotchlite on them.  Scotchlite has "retroreflectors" embedded in it, and those may be small glass beads or prisms that return the light in the direction from which it came making things many times brighter than normal.  It was an unreal sight, and fortunately I had my "toy" camera with me, and managed to quickly get this shot.  Yeah, I know, no shooting while driving...



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Learn something new everyday. I had to look up retroreflectors for CT signs and learned they replaced so many signs on the Merritt Parkway from NY to Milford as well as others that have a life span of 17 years.
Joan