Thursday, August 18, 2022

The Hotel Pennsylvania


So after I made my post the other day about the "black cloth building" I came home to research the building and as I wrote, I discovered the building was the storied Hotel Pennsylvania.  So I was in the city tonight for dinner with friends and I brought my wide-angle lens with me.  I also wondered if there was anything left that was not covered by cloth, that would speak to how beautiful the building once was.  I was overjoyed when I stepped out of Penn station and saw this view of the hotel, and I could see the columns at the front entrance.  I would have some evidence in my photographs of what once was.


Here is a close up of the entrance and the beautiful Ionic columns beneath the name of the hotel carved into the marble and lined with gold leaf.  I now have some evidence of a building that soon will be no more.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you captured the original entrance of the hotel as it used to be. Sad that so much history is being demolished! betsey