Saturday, August 6, 2022

The Peel by the Fireplace


I mentioned having stayed at this B&B before.  When I came into the dining room where we have breakfast, I saw this antique peel leaning on the wall by the fireplace.  It stood out at once, and I think that was because of the light on the scene.  I am pretty much always tuned into the light.  I examined the peel closely and found it interesting to see how the handle was fastened to the flat part.  If you click on the photo you can see that detail more easily.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lighting and wonderful old wood, but I have no idea what the "Peel" is used for. Teach us another lesson Ken.
Joan

Anonymous said...

Love the shape and size of this antique peel. I have only seen smaller wooden peels for pizza so I am not sure what they would have used this shape and size for...betsey

Ken Spencer said...

If I had to guess, I would think this peel was used for a loaf of bread. Am I imagining that I have seen small ovens built right into the side of a fireplace front where you could do one loaf of bread? Probably not, I am always imagining things that don't exist... :-)

Ken Spencer said...

WHOA! Check this out! Scroll down and see a small oven in the back of a fireplace in one of the houses in Old Sturbridge Village! I am a genius! :-)
http://colonial-american-life.blogspot.com/2009/08/early-american-fireplaces-and-cooking.html

Anonymous said...

I took a few photos of early american fireplaces showing a small oval shaped oven on the side or inside the brick fireplaces. Reminds me of larger pizza ovens today. Since they probably were not baking pizza, then bread makes total sense. betsey