Monday, August 29, 2022

Yeah, the Lawn's Looking Good, I Think...


Yeah, I think it does look good, IF WE LIVED IN THE DESERT!  Does this lawn look "carpet bombed"?  I think it looks like some B-52's came by and dropped bombs all over it!  The truth is, no amount of fertilizer will make this better.  I refuse to waste water to keep this green and pretty during the heat, and the drought this year.  It is just not worth is.  But it is not about fertilizer, it is about the basic soil condition.  The only fix is to make 30 gallons of "Compost Tea" as described in The Lawn Project in the NY Times ten years ago.  I did one treatement, but it is a LOT of work.  What the compost tea does (with additives like molasses and fish oil and other things, is that it promotes the growth of microbes down below the surface of the lawn, and then the grass will be green and perfect and no watering required. Oh, that orange spot on the left is me flying the drone.  Please click on this because I uploaded an extra-large image which you can study in detail, and then laugh at me...   :-)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your lawn looks so much better that our lawn. I remember you making the compost tea a few years back and all of the work you did to try and improve the soil and lawn. I keep hoping for rain but it skirts around us.
Joan

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about not watering lawns. Water is more important for drinking and cooking and basic needs. Maybe we will see a shift in the future to native plants and meadow like areas instead of green lawns. betsey