Thursday, August 4, 2022

Some Women of Stellafane


I am going to get low marks for my reporting because I am really short on details for these photographs.  But the best thing is, these three women are telescope makers and they entered their home made telescopes in the competition and won!  But what matters most is that these women are building telescopes!  How cool is that!  The two women above are sisters and built this telescope themselves with a little help from their dad.  I love that after they built it, they decorated the outside with wonderful designs and made their telescope distinctly theirs!


This woman is an engineering student at a university, and shame on me for not getting more detailed information.  She used computer aided design software to design this telescope, and then used a 3D printer to produce the black plastic parts that connect the aluminum tubes to the wooden part of the telescope.  If she wanted a different size telescope she would just put the new numbers in the program, and it would design all the new parts and THEN print out the plastic parts with the correct dimensions!  It is so wonderful to see so many women building telescopes!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive for these young girls. Totally different looking telescopes. The technology of the second one and being able to change size with a computer has me in awe. I love that they are enjoying this so early in life.
Joan

ken schwarz said...

I can almost see the wheels turning in your head: "should I install a CAD program for my computer and buy a 3D Printer?"

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Great to see younger individuals getting into astronomy and especially, making their own telescopes! betsey