Monday, January 21, 2008

Another Landscape Lesson




I was stopped at a light getting off the parkway, and noticed the very pale moon in a pastel sky. It occurred to me that usually we are aware of the moon when it is in a jet black sky, and I loved the subtlety of these more delicate colors. So I grabbed the camera and tried several different views. Then I drove toward work, but the moonrise would not let me go. I stopped twice more, looking for other foregrounds, and took some more photos. Then I realized that I was approaching the Long Island National Cemetery just up the road, with its geometric lines of headstones. Wow, what a great foreground that would make! By then the sky was getting darker, and the pastel shades had changed, but more importantly, the foreground was so much more dramatic, the photo was no longer about the moon at all! Funny how the nature of a photo can change as you explore the subject.

2 comments:

Amy said...

wow, beautiful!! i thought i'd be sad to see the CA shots end, but this is an incredible shot. (And I guess more California snaps may be coming...)

Amy said...

This is too funny. I was scrolling down the page of photos and saw the one of the headstones again and thought, I don't think I told my Dad how much I loved this shot. It's so stunning, I just have to pop in and make sure to let him know.

Oh. Seems I already did. So if you didn't believe me the first time...