Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Dedicated Educator


Several of us photographers are photographing about 30 people for a project. We are all using the same light beige background material and soft nearly-frontal lighting so the photos will look the same when used next to each other. Oh, and we are doing video interviews with each subject as well. With the video camera running and my subject answering a long question, I moved over to the left and leaned down to get my Nikon for some still photos, and when I looked up, the edge lighting knocked me out! But it needed more. After I was done with the video, I went out to the car and grabbed the piece of black cloth I have in the trunk, put it over the lighter background, and then did this photo. It won't fit in the layout, but I will submit it anyhow. This man is nearly 85, is a PhD and has been an educator all his life, where he began by working with underprivileged children, trying to make a difference in their lives. I was hoping to capture a sense of dignity about him, and a sense of how much he must have seen, both good and bad, in his lifetime.

1 comment:

Midge said...

This is a lovely portrait.